Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Updates....

wooo! I haven't updated for a while.... I'll quick chuck in the bare bones of some recent flights and flesh 'em out later.

Cool flight today, my first good fly over Mt Buffalo. Takeoff around 1pm, pretty windy conditions but it wasn't as rough as I was expecting and seemed to organise the lift into good lines. I climbed out, crossed to Clearspot, Blackfellas, back to Clearspot, good 1st half of the Buckland crossing but sinky on the 2nd, climbed out of the spur behind the Porepunkah airfield and flew in over Mt Buffalo. Got a good climb off the hot rocks to 2,400m and took some pics of the Chalet before heading on. There's actually quite a number of landing options up there, it's just most of them then require a long walk out... There were small, short lived cu's forming upwind of me so I pushed out towards them over the gap to Mt Mcloud and after getting down to 1,900m (sounds high, but the north plateau of Buffalo is up around 1,500m and it's a loooong scramble out through rough country if you land there) I eventually climbed back up. The further I looked the less clouds I saw so I decided to see if I could make it back. There was a thermal just before the chalet that got me near 2,700m (max height for the day) and again I had a lifty line for the first part of the crossing and got drilled in the second. The clearspot spur was working though and gave me the height to head over to Goldmine from just behind Wandiligong. There was some light lift along Goldmine which I played in before landing around 16:45. Considering the wind, the flying was much easier than I would have expected - lots of fun!

No comments: