Saturday, January 12, 2008

Persisting at Pyramid

Twice now I've lost the better part of what turned into an epic day by bombing out at Pyramid. Today, hopefuly, I've turned that around.
I launched, flew over to Goldmine, topped up and headed into Pyramid. Nothing but 2m/s down. I persisted, flying right over the sumit (passing over Little Pyramid) but no go. By now I was quite close to the trees and the closest landing paddock was looking uncomfortably far away. Instead of heading straight out I detoured over two likely trigger points and flew around the hill instead of straight down it. This enabled me to cover more area (less sink) but alas no lift. However I didn't give up hope but had enough height to fly over one more possible trigger point. Either that or land near the road, but "no guts, no glory" so I headed for it. Woohoo! A thin thread of lift was wafting up above it!! I found it hard to center in and eventually just followed it wherever it felt like it was going - which was drifting back up toward Goldmine (against the prevailing wind direction, but the Goldmine ridge was sheltering it).
I connected with another climb above Goldmine and was zapped back up to cloudbase, then followed Sass and Hans across the Tawonga Gap (bypassing Pyramid) to land at the Mt Beauty Airport.
A fun day's flying, and it was great to save the flight and stay in the air instead of bombing out in the middle of the day!

No comments: