Monday, January 28, 2008

Smoother later

Two flights from Mystic today – I first launched shortly before three pm into boyant but rough air (+7m/s – 5m/s, probably mostly due to the strong inversion around 1,100m – it didn't break all day and the closer to it you got the rougher the air became). There was also a moderate northerly wind blowing that increased in strength until I decide to go and land after around 30min airtime.
Later in the day a bunch of rello's that were visiting Bright were keen to see us fly and when the wind dropped a bit we all headed back up Mystic Lane to the take-off. I rarely get pics of myself taking off or flying, so I'll include some here that were taken.It was well after seven in the evening when we launched, and the air was totally different – glassy smooth, wide ridge lift that several pilots were already playing in. After 30min or so it started to weaken and I left the ridge while I still had plenty of height to work on my wingovers some more before landing – there's still something fundamental that I'm not getting right and I think it's the timing of my weightshift. It was fun yakking with other pilots in the landing paddock while waiting for Nath to land – he flies really well in super light conditions and didn't come down until he was running out of light. A great finish to the day!

No comments: