Sunday, October 7, 2007

Woohoo!!!

In the hope of a few sleddies in calm air I arrived in Bright a little before 9am, only to find that a high SW wind had blown cold air into the valley, creating unusually early unstable conditions. There were whispey bits forming around 8:30, and by the time I launched around 9:30 there were already little cumulus clouds scattered around the sky in the distance.
The wind had picked up unusually early in the day also, and I spent a little while on launch getting a feel for it and weighing up the pros and cons of launching a new wing into what looked like typical spring conditions - a bit of rough and tumble type air with some sharp bits sprinkled in too.
I did launch, after a while, at what I hoped was the end of a lull. Maybe I was right, maybe I wasn't, but I found a decent climb above Marcus and was soon bumping against a light inversion around 1,300m. I flew along the Marcus ridge line a couple of times - pulled some asymmetrics on the wing (quit soft going into them, no nasty suprises) and flew back to launch to top up on height. Each time I topped up I got higher and eventually broke through the inversion (or it broke) and climbed high enough to leave the hill. I headed for Clearspot, which was upwind, and was suprised at how good a glide we got.
Flying into clearspot I first found neutral air, then light lift that swiftly became stronger, then good positive lift that just continued as I flew straight. Eventually I turned and four turns later was at the top of the thermal (+4m/s climb).
I messed around over Clearspot for a bit before testing the glide downwind and got a 10.5:1 glide over Mystic to the Goldmine ridge. Here I turned right and tracked up the ridge a bit before turning towards the landing paddock.
I landed after 1 1/2 hrs airtime - freezing cold, extremely happy, and giddy with the possibilities of this awesome new wing.
It's definitely less relaxing than the old one (but conveys so much more information about what's going on around), and much easier to ground-handle, possibly a little more collapse resistant, and certainly has a noticeable performance advantage! A joy to fly - I think I'm in love!!!!

No comments: