Friday, October 5, 2007

New beginning...

I picked up my new wing today and "Yeehar!" is it nice!!
As soon as I had it I whipped around to the closest park to unpack it and have a quick squizzy. It all looked pretty good (crackly-new fabric!! Bright line colours!!) so I reluctantly packed it up and drove home.

Arriving, there was a light-moderate NW blowing, so I ground handled for a couple of hours in the front paddock. This was really good for starting to get a feeling for the wing - it pulls up very nicely and reacts quicker and to less input than the old one. This makes ground handling much easier because I can correct wing-crashing situations much later, faster, more accurately more now!!
Another cool thing is it seems to generate more lift, when I reverse launch the wing, stabilise it, spin around, brakes up, run forward, brake and jump into the air for a bunny hop, where I used to only manage 2-3 feet in the air today I was getting up 6-8 feet!!! Fun, fun, fun!

Later in the afternoon the wind dropped off to a light westerly so I went up the hill to see if it was launch-able. It was, so I did!!

I immediately noticed a lot more feedback from the wing than I'm used to. When I'm tuned into it, I hope I'll be able to sense lift from a lot further away, and lots light lift as well. I'll be able to turn tighter too, which'll be good for exploiting the tight little rockets that one finds from time to time.

I have to work tomorrow :( but can see lots more"Woohoo!!!" moments approaching!!

Note to self: Must get as much airtime as possible before Manilla (22 days...)

Woohoo!!

No comments: