Thursday, October 9, 2008

another milestone

Two flights today, the first one I launched around 1:30 (Daylight Saving time - 1 hr forward) and climbed to 1,400, then crossed towards Clearspot. I arrived well below the height of the hill and had to scratch around the side before getting up to 1,500 in a narrow, drifting core. Above 1,300 it was easy to stay up, and I boated around taking some pics while watching Ollie climbing up and waiting for Rob to come across. We headed out towards Blackfellas, but Rob didn't like the look of it and turned around for another climb while watching me get lower and lower as I searched for lift. He stayed high and further back, which was a smart move as after desperately working tiny bubbles and even ridge soaring I ran out of height and options and landed on the outskirts of Bright.
I eventually got a lift from Alex, who very kindly drove me up to my car on launch, but once there the conditions on launch (N-NNW at 5kts, gusts to 8kts) proved too tempting and I relaunched. By now (4:30ish) there were small rough-edged bubbles coming through but not many thermals. I did catch a few, but they were extremely narrow and hard to stay centered in. Max height was about 1,200m. FredG and MichelleB drove up and launched after a while (on a Boom5 and UP very high aspect ratio wing) and we flew around for a bit before they landed. I kept flying for until I ran out of bubbles and then landed very pleased with a smooth toplanding in 4-9kts of NNW wind. I wasn't sure it'd work out and was prepared to forget the idea but it all went very well.

Today's flying also puts me over the 200hrs mark - Hooray!!
I arrived home to find that my advanced rating had arrived in the mail - nice timing!

No comments: