Thursday, October 23, 2008

Weird air

Flew from Mystic today and at the end of the day I felt like I understand the weather less, thermals didn't make as much sense as they used to, my wing doesn't have nearly as good a performance as I thought, I didn't really mind being on the ground, and what were the weather forecasters on???
Contributing factors may have been some stability and an approaching front? But anyway, I flew from Mystic, to Clearspot, then Blackfellas, Mt Porepunkah (scratched around there for ages before getting over the top, and once there, no boomer to zap me up to cloudbase), and down the spur-line to the north to land in Running Creek Valley.
What made things difficult was firstly the winds, which I'd have to say were strong and variable - three separate times I was pretty much parked in the wind - which was blowing in three different directions, and everywhere I went the wind was blowing somewhere different. Secondly the thermals were very hard to find - it seemed like you had to be right on top of them when they came through or you'd miss 'em, and they didn't last for very long either. Drop out the side or the back and by the time you'd found it again most of it might have passed through.
Coming down the spur on the other side of Mt Porepunkah the whole area was in the sun but do you think I could find a climb? Nup, there were little bubbles rocketing off here and there, drifting strongly in the wind, but no good climbs and the air was getting rougher and rougher so in the end I got fed up as I ran out of height and landed in the valley.
An hours walking and lifts from a farmer, a retired geological surveyer, and then a regional climate change planner saw me back at the landing paddock and my vehicle but check out this amazing B&B place I came across on the way out!!

No comments: